Wednesday, June 19, 2013

CSA: Week One

 

Our town's CSA started up last week.  As you can see, we received spring onions, cauliflower, leaf lettuce, strawberries, snow peas, and spinach.  Not bad for a county that had snow in May!

How I used the produce:

Spring onions: Aside from Vidalias, there is a dearth of onions in the grocery store until the new crop comes in.  I've been using the spring onions wherever one would use regular onions.

Cauliflower: Roasted with cardamom, mustard seeds, and red pepper flakes, from Suvir Saran's American Masala.  If you don't like cauliflower, try it roasted before you give up on it. 

Leaf lettuce: As side salads, dressed with a little lemon and olive oil.

Snow peas and spinach: A rustic pasta primavera.  I dropped the pods into the pasta water just before I drained it and put the spinach in the bottom of the colander.  Then I tossed the whole mixture with olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese.

Strawberries: Freezer jam.  I enjoy hot water bath canning, but I haven't been happy with my last few batches of strawberry jam.  The extra 10-15 minutes of cooking saps the ruby color and translucence. Freezer jam it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment